Monday, March 31, 2008

rich

We just started a new sermon series called "How to Be Rich." It has really caused me to readjust my thinking. Many of us have crossed that line of not rich to rich and not even realized it. Ever thought about how you fare compared to the rest of the world? Just the fact that we have a car sets us apart from most of the world. I think of how it sets us our family apart from many in Buffalo who walk or ride the metro, some of whom live in our neighborhood! And we have TWO cars! We have running water, a spare bedroom where nobody sleeps, mounds of clothes and shoes. We're rich. The problem is many times we don't feel rich and so we don't act rich.

Scott and I were discussing this last night (during our "reading party") and I thought it was an issue of stewardship and ownership. If we fully realized Who it's from, we would live differently. His perspective was its an issue of love. Who and what do we love? Basically we were saying the same thing. It came full circle for us last night because we had our accountant over to the house to do our taxes and things turned out much better than we anticipated. All night, we kept re-living Sunday's message because of the news we just found out. I shared with Scott that I have adopted a new mindset since the message and a few hours earlier when I went to Target, I had a different mindset. As I grabbed a cart, I couldn't believe I was rich enough to go there and basically buy whatever I needed. I felt like I was at Manda Hills, a place we visited in Lusaka, Zambia a few years ago. It was similar to a strip mall but was the wealthiest place in the capital city. Just as those people viewed that shopping area, I similarly viewed my experience.

I still can't believe the new reality. I am rich!

No comments: