Saturday, January 19, 2008

out of place

Today I was reminded of how close to the East Side we really live. At Elmwood we talk a lot about minstering to our city, about reaching every man, woman and child with God's love and we frequently partner with organizations who are making a difference. I guess I can get kinda busy and God reminded me again today that he has us living in this place for a reason. Scott and I always wondered why we moved to the Buffalo/Cheektowaga border. I mean, the only thing separating us from the East Side is a HUMONGOUS cemetary. I AM IN a mission field. I know that, I just sometimes forget.

Well, I was invited to an event this afternoon where I felt so out of place. I traveled to the East Side for this women's event and felt the only things I had in common with these women was the fact that my nails were done and I had on big earrings. Didn't realize traveling to that part of the city would mean that my snow-covered, red-lined zebra flats would leave my feet a little wet. They asked me where my boots were. Guess I chose the wrong shoes today.

I have been on missions trips and in situations where you eat whatever is given to you, just to be gracious. Today felt like one of those times. I had a BIG plate of food - I mostly tried to load up with fruit - and wasn't hungry at all. I had just eaten six tacos. Homemade tacos at home are a weekly staple at our house. I can eat them like crazy! They were sure to point out that I didn't get such and such salad or shrimp or.... I felt like I was going to burst. All the while thinking, "I went to the gym for NOTHING today, since I'm eating all the calories I burned!"

It's been a funny day. But all that to say, in the midst of the drama and drive through the city, God allowed me time to pray for my city, and reminded me to take ownership in my circle of influence.

No comments: