Sunday, December 23, 2007

work like it depends on you, pray like it depends on God

Today was a first for us at the Chapel at Elmwood. We had two gatherings for our Chrismtas Jingle Jam! It was exciting to see all the people who came out for this fun family production.

What they didn't see was all the work behind the scenes! Our staff leadership team has spent WEEKS preparing for this event in the life of our church! One of the volunteers was saying to me this morning, "I hope people actually show up today, for Brek's sake!" I said "Oh, really, why?" They said "Because [the pastor] will be disappointed!" I said "Well, I have been praying all morning that God brings exactly the right people he wants here at 9:00 am and the exact people he wants here at 10:00 am. We have to work and prepare like it depends on us and pray and trust God for the rest....that he will bring who he wants for such a time as this." Even as the words left my mouth, it was a great reminder to me that nothing we do is within our control. I went in to this morning knowing that the logistics and operations wouldn't be perfect, but I knew we had to be faithful to do our part in planning and preparing for this day. God is faithful and we had a record attendance with almost 500!

Now, I can relax. I am blessed to have this coming week off and our family Christmas events have already begun. As I reflect on today's worship gathering, I am finding peace in my heart and am enjoying the lights in our cozy home. Mmmm, the cookies baking give a nice aroma and I am ready to settle down "for a long winter's nap" or at least until the baby wakes up!

No comments: