Thursday, December 27, 2007

simplicity of christmas

Well, the 12 days of Christmas in the Stockton home have been busy - going here, going there, having these people over, doing this and that. It's nice to have off from work, but we have truly filled our time. Silas has been doing great with his schedule, despite all the interruptions.

I'm not sure what I expected for Baby's First Christmas. I told Scott on Christmas morning, I thought it was going to be fuzzy and magical. Even I don't know what I meant by that. Sometimes my expectations are too high and I have lofty ideas of reality. Scott is used to that about me and is patient with me because usually I come crashing down with the bumps and bruises to show for it. The past few days I've been a ball of tears as reality has set in: toy recalls consume my daily thoughts, getting back to the gym has got to be my resolution, my baby is growing up, and when will we have more kids? Just as the craziness of the shopping season is over, my mind already wanders to more "important" things.

What happened to the simplicity of Christmas? I've been reflecting on the simple nature of that first Christmas night. Did it feel chaotic for Mary? I mean, as a mom, was she worried and stressed out becuase there was no room in the Inn? I can't help but wonder if her nerves were shot, if she was nagging Joseph for making that right turn instead of the left, being short with him as she progressed into "active labor" or as she scrounged to find a manger. I have to admit, when I think of the Christmas story, I think of the twinkling stars, a peacful night, set to some type of orchestral soundtrack and think Jesus must have come into this world (and family) in such a peaceful way.

Regardless of my own interpretations of the Christmas story, I've determined it's important to keep the simplistic MESSAGE of Christmas in my heart a little longer this year.

No comments: