Thursday, May 22, 2008

scenery

I have been going stir crazy at work today! Everyone's in meetings or keeping to themselves. Not a whole lot of activity going on....for me either. It's one of those days where I have everything done and I'm cleaning my desk, organizing things, stuff like that. The hours have felt like days. You'd think I was still a schoolgirl anticipating summer vacation! About three hours ago, I flipped and just HAD to get out. I had to change the scenery.

I walked to the post office to get some fresh air and exercise. I was surprised at how warm it was compared to the last few cold, rainy days we've had. I enjoyed the sights and sounds amusing my senses. I dropped my mail off and headed back down the block when I started thinking about the scenery in our lives. I was thinking about how the change of scenery does so much good for us. Helps us gain new perspective, helps us re-focus, re-group, helps distract us from other non-essential things. And I couldn't help but wonder if we truly value the times when God changes the scenery in our lives. Sometimes things hit us and we can't figure out why "life threw us a curve ball" or how something "dropped out of mid-air." I think God changes the scenery on us. I am challenged to have a new perspective on life. When changes come, they are not the changes themselves to be looked at, but rather the scenery that God is changing for us. He has suddenly turned our head to look at something new, maybe for the first time. Maybe he cares enough about us to not let us go stir crazy in our old habits! Maybe half the time he saves us from ourselves! Maybe he has a new lesson for us to learn that can only be learned through this change of scenery. That's something I don't want to miss out on!

Enjoy the view!

2 comments:

Debbie said...

Great "wake up call" perspective! Focus on the scenery!

Tonya said...

It's a great reminder as I've been so "busy" with things lately. Thanks for continuing to write!